Beginner's Dilemma : What is aerobic composting ? 0
By Rini Varghese
Aerobic composting is driven by aerobic microorganisms which thrive in plenty of oxygen ( good aeration ) and balanced moisture content.
What you need to do?
1. Layer your waste with browns and composting aerobic microbes
2. Ensure the aeration of the compost pile is good and the moisture content is balanced. (essentially making sure that the compost pile doesn't turn out to be like a mushy swamp)
Advantages of Aerobic Composting
2. Easy process, waste gets easier to manage as the days progress no rocket science involved.
3.Compost is ready within three to four weeks
Disadvantages of Aerobic Composting
You have to layer the waste with compost maker which does require a little effort from your side.
As a beginner,it is advisable to start with aerobic composting as it does not require complicated steps or equipments. Its absolutely simple and do-able,no rocket invovled .
meme courtsey - itsahappyworld @happyworldtitis
Maggots in your Compost? 0
Why Stonesoup compost maker blocks are superior to other composting solutions in the market? 0
By Rini Varghese
Why is it better than other solutions in the market?
- Absolutely no foul smell. A biodegradable waste which is generating foul smell when introduced into the composting medium loose the foul smell immediately
- It has naturally occuring aerobic composting microbes that converts your organic waste into high value compost in just 23- 30 days.
- No leachate during the process
- No flies when the moisture is maintained at an optimum level. Even if the maggots are generated it becomes inactive and dies in a few days.
- Frequent turning of the material not required thereby reducing the inconvenience associated with turning.
- A consortium of naturally occurring aerobic composting microbes breaks down all the complex bio molecules. It acts effectively on both vegetarian and non- vegetarian food.
- Compost provides a rich growing medium, or a porous, absorbent material that holds moisture and soluble minerals, providing the support and nutrients in which plants can flourish.
- When mixed with soil it can boost the level of organic matter and the overall fertility of the soil.
- Composting can destroy pathogens or unwanted seeds.
- Using Compost as a growing medium reduces water requirement to one- fourth the normal recommended dosage thereby effectively saving 75% of water consumption
Review of our Community Composter Aaditi by Savita Hiremath 0
Savita Hiremath is a green warrior-cum-journalist who is fighting the demons of 24-hr composting machines. Very happy to share her views on our community composting solution - Aaditi.